August 9th, 2016
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2½ crushed tomatoes, unsalted
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp fennel seed, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- pinch black peppercorn
- In a large pot, sauté garlic, ginger, onions, carrots, and celery in sunflower oil, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in fennel seed, bay leaf, water, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper, and remove the bay leaf.
- In your blender or food processor, purée to a silky texture…then serve!
Real Food Tips:
- Add quinoa, brown or black rice, and garnish with hemp, pumpkin, and/or sunflower seeds.
- Strapped for time? Freeze extra portions for a quick, reheatable meal.