December 14th, 2015
Makes 10 servings
- 700g ground beef
- pinch black peppercorn
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 1½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- 3 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pita, toasted and ground to a crumb
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine all spices and pita crumbs and set aside.
- Combine the egg, water, and tomato paste in another bowl.
- Combine both mixtures together.
- Now mix this super mixture into the ground beef. (Pro tip: Roll up your sleeves and get in there with your hands for best results.)
- Once combined, press down the beef mixture into a 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 45-60 minutes, or until the internal temp reads 165°F on a meat thermometer.
- Let the loaf rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. This lets the juices settle, and adds to the mightiness.
Real Food Tips:
- For added awesome, spread your favourite tomato chutney or homemade ketchup on top about halfway through baking time.
- In a pinch, use store-bought bread crumbs instead of pita crumbs.