August 19th, 2016
Makes 6 servings
- 500g chicken thigh, 1” dice
- 2 tsp organic corn starch
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 454g elbow pasta
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 1½ tbsp organic corn starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded + extra for garnish
- Marinate diced chicken with 2 tsp of corn starch, ½ tsp salt, and water for 1 hour or overnight.
- Poach the chicken (cook in a pot of simmering water) and set aside.
- Cook pasta separately and set aside to cool.
- Boil and then purée (finely) the chopped carrot and set aside.
- In a large pot/saucepan, bring milk (save about ¼ c of milk for step 6), onion powder, 1 tsp salt, and turmeric to a boil.
- Dissolve 1½ tbsp of corn starch with remaining milk. Slowly whisk mixture into the pot and bring back up to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Add in carrot purée, shredded cheese, chicken, and pasta (in that order). Mix!
- Transfer into a casserole dish and garnish with extra cheese for added gooeyness. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until golden.
Real Food Tips:
- To reduce the amount of cheese in the dish, you can increase the amount of carrot purée (for colour and nutrients).
- Replace elbow pasta with your family’s favourite whole wheat shape or a gluten-free option.
- Serve with a big side of colourful veggies and devour!